Malabar Pepper Chicken Fry
- Chicken:1/2 kg
- Garlic: 7-8 garlic cloves (Peeled and crushed:I used a pestle to crush it )
- Ginger: 2 medium sized pieces ( Peeled and crushed:I used a pestle to crush it)
- Green chillies : 4-5 nos (Chopped finely)
- Shallots :15 no.s (Chopped finely)
- Tomato : 2 Medium sized (Pureed )
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder : 3 tsp
- Lemon juice : 1 nos
- Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
- Freshly Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
- Coriander powder : 2 tsp
- Fresh Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil / Cooking oil:5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds(for tempering)
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the cleaned chicken pieces with turmeric powder, pepper powder, lemon juice and little salt and refrigerate it till you get the other ingredients ready :).
- Heat oil in a pan/wok.Add mustard seeds & curry leaves when the mustard seeds begin to crackle add crushed ginger and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the finely chopped shallots,green chillies and saute till shallots turn light pink in colour. Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and the tomato puree (Jisha in her recipe had instructed to add 3 tbsp of water,I poured 3tbsp of water to the mixie jar used for puring the tomato and added that to this.) Cook till all blends in & gets cooked well.
- When you think its all cooked add the marinated chicken (which you have left in the refrigerator ).Check for salt; if less now is the time to adjust the taste.Cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes (donot add any further water,chicken will generate water while it is getting cooked). Stir well ;remove the lid & cook for another 10-15 minutes. Add black pepper powder, garam masala, grated coconut and the remaining curry leaves. Cook till all the gravy has thickened up & has coated the chicken pieces well. Your Malabar Pepper Chicken Fry is all ready to flaunt & ofcourse relish !