Welcome to my world.Here's my confession...I am a foodaholic.I love good food.I am game for any cusine & am passionate about Indian cooking.Honestly I am not a polished home-maker.I haven't learnt the ropes of the trade the traditional way which is from my mom.I am not very fussy when it comes to food. I would relish & eat simple meal with great delight.Best way to unwind for me is with my family at home, listening to some wonderful music,good food,lots of laughter and possibily some good wine =) Join me as I share with you some wonderful recipes that I have cooked over the years for my family which I usually serve with a large dollop of love ♥.

Monday 31 October 2011

Hi its one of those days for me when I am too lazy to cook yet not lazy enough to feed or eat.I am sure if not all atleast few of you do sail the same boat  every so now & then :) So what do you do when your cook does not turn up & you are no where in the mood to cook?? why because its such a lovely weather outside.Did I mention its raining here? its just awesome,prefect to cuddle up nd snore..oops! did I say snore (not  lady-like ;p) ok lets just say cuddle up & dream.
So here I am wondering what to make....quickly so that I can resume my rain gazzing.Well ofcourse it has to be the Dhal,simple yet a satisfying dish.So here we go...

The simple life saver - Dhal

Ingredients:
Toor dhal : 1/4 cup
Moong dhal : 1/4 cup
Tomato: 1,finely chopped
Onion:1/2,finely chopped
Green chilly:1,finely chopped
Corriander leaves:for garnish
Ginger- 1/2 inch,finely chopped
Garlic- 1-2 pods,finely chopped
Tumeric powder-1 tsp
Salt-to taste

For tempering:
Ghee/clarified butter:1 tbsp
Mustard seed:1 tsp
Curry leaves: handful
Red dry chilly-2
Asafetida/Hing: a pinch

For garnish:
Fresh corriander leaves

Method:
In a pressure cooker,add the cleaned-washed dals.Add 2 cups of water,tumeric powder,onion,tomato,green chilly,ginger and garlic.Close the pressure cooker & let the dhal cook throughly (say 5 whistles).Remove from fire & set aside to cool down.Meanwhile in a small wok add ghee,hing,mustard seeds,curry leaves & red dry chillies.When the mustard seeds starts spluttering add it to the cooked dhal.Add salt and let it simmer for 2 minutes.Garnish with freshly chopped corriander leaves.Best served with steamed rice or rotis.



We had dhal,spicy egg thokku(I will link up the recipe here later),rice,curd,pappad & pickle for lunch.Simple yet a satisfying meal.At times it is best to avoid the frills and keep it simple.What healthy meal do you  like to cook for your family when you are not in your best mood to cook? Do share your inputs here.Have an awesome day.

Cheers,
Deepa


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...