Welcome to my world.Here's my confession...I am a foodaholic.I love good food.I am game for any cusine & am passionate about Indian cooking.Honestly I am not a polished home-maker.I haven't learnt the ropes of the trade the traditional way which is from my mom.I am not very fussy when it comes to food. I would relish & eat simple meal with great delight.Best way to unwind for me is with my family at home, listening to some wonderful music,good food,lots of laughter and possibily some good wine =) Join me as I share with you some wonderful recipes that I have cooked over the years for my family which I usually serve with a large dollop of love ♥.

Saturday 10 December 2011

Green Rice loaded with the goodness of greens !

Hi my lovely readers,tell me how many of you find it difficult to make your kids eat the greens?I did =( Well like all smart mommies out there I thought to myself "darling if you want them to eat the greens then you need to be innovative there is now other way to it" ,so I made "Green Rice" for my kids and guess what they helped themselves at the table also went in for second serving.I for one pretended not to notice it at all {this is a trick with my kids that I follow....the more I fret & ask them to do something the more they test my patience but not doing just that =/ which is why I decided to IGNORE their act & surpisingly they fell for it =D.I couldn't be happier !}
Here we go at the recipe.

Green Rice:

Ingredients:
  1. Greens: 1 cup(I used Mulai Keerai - Amaranth leaves) rinsed & cleaned
  2. Mint leaves: few (abt 4-5)
  3. Fresh Corriander leaves: a sprig
  4. Fresh curry leaves: few (abt 4-5)
  5. Shallots:3-4(peeled)
  6. Green chilly:1 inch
  7. Ginger:1 inch
  8. Garlic:5-6 flakes{you can lessen/increase according to your preferrence,I used more  because my son is having a bad cold  that doesn't seem to go away =(  }
  9. Cauliflower:two florets (seperated into tiny ones)
  10. French Beans:3 chopped finely
  11. Onion- 1/4th portion of a mid-sized onion chopped finely
  12. Tomato-1/4th portion of a mid-sized tomato chopped finely
  13. Cooked Rice: 2 cups (I made this only for the kids,if you want u can add more rice)
  14. Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
  15. Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
  16. Tumeric powder: 1 tsp
  17. Corriander-Cumin powder: 1 tsp
  18. Butter: 1 tbsp
  19. Cooking Oil: 2 tbsp
  20. Salt: to taste

Method:
Grind ingredients1-8 (from the ingredients list)  in a blender finely,add a tbsp of water if needed.Keep it aside.In a frying pan add oil,mustard seed & cumin seed.When the mustard seeds begin to crack up add chopped onion and tomato & fry till the onion turns pink/ translucent.Add cauliflower,chopped beans,tumeric powder,cumin-corriander powder and salt.When the veggetable are almost cooked ;add the ground paste and cook it covered till it is done (till the raw smell of the greens & garlic disappear).Add butter.Check the taste (if you want it spicier you could add pepper/red-chilli powder).Add the cooked rice and mix everything well.Serve hot with fresh curd.



Do try and let me know how it went with your kids :)

Happy cooking !

Cheers,
Photobucket




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...