Welcome to my world.Here's my confession...I am a foodaholic.I love good food.I am game for any cusine & am passionate about Indian cooking.Honestly I am not a polished home-maker.I haven't learnt the ropes of the trade the traditional way which is from my mom.I am not very fussy when it comes to food. I would relish & eat simple meal with great delight.Best way to unwind for me is with my family at home, listening to some wonderful music,good food,lots of laughter and possibily some good wine =) Join me as I share with you some wonderful recipes that I have cooked over the years for my family which I usually serve with a large dollop of love ♥.

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Malabar Avoli(pomfret) meen curry

Everyone in my house relishes fish curry except for me =(  Infact my family often hurl jokes at me saying that you are indeed a very unique & rare breed malayali with a dislike for fish ! Hmm...well I donot like eating fish but that doesnot mean I cannot cook fish =) I decided to try my  hand at making some fish curry to prove more so to myself that when you enjoy cooking the ingredients should not stop you from cooking a nice dish.So here's what I made.


Malabar Avoli(pomfret) meen curry:

Ingredients:
Pomfret fish-1(the one I had on hand was a big fellow must have weighted about 2kgs easily) cleaned & cut into serveable sizes
Shallots-1 cup(peeled,chopped finely)
Garlic-8 pods(peeled,chopped finely)
Ginger-2 inch(peeled,chopped finely)
Green chillies-2 slit length-wise
Curry leaves-1-2 sprig
Corriander powder-4tsp
Red chilly powder-4tsp
Tumeric powder-2tsp
Coconut-1 grated
 Salt-to taste
Water-for cooking
 Coconut oil-4 tbsp
Kodampulli-8 flakes

Heat a pan,add abt 1 tbsp of oil.Add the grated coconut and fry till brown(fry on medium to low heat;donot burn the coconut).Remove from fire,let it cool.Grind this with a little water(2tbsp) into a smooth paste.Set aside.In another pan pour 2 cups of water.To this add salt,2tsp of tumeric powder,2tsp of corriander powder & 2tsp of red chilly powder.Cook for about 10 minutes;till the raw smell of the masala powder fades away.Add the cleaned-cut fish pieces into this gravy.Let it cook for 5 minutes.Remove from flame & set this aside.
Take another pan,add the remaining 2tbsp of coconut oil.Add chopped garlic;saute till light brown.Then add the chopped shallots,ginger and slit green chillies.Add the ground coconut paste,the remaining 2tsp of corriander powder & 2tsp of red chilly powder.Add the kodampulli & the curry leaves.Fry till oil starts to separate.Remove from fire.Now add this fried masala to the cooked fish gravy.Simmer it for 5 minutes in low flame.The malabar fish curry is ready to be served with steamed rice or cooked tappioca (the keralite favourite combination).
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...