Welcome to my world.Here's my confession...I am a foodaholic.I love good food.I am game for any cusine & am passionate about Indian cooking.Honestly I am not a polished home-maker.I haven't learnt the ropes of the trade the traditional way which is from my mom.I am not very fussy when it comes to food. I would relish & eat simple meal with great delight.Best way to unwind for me is with my family at home, listening to some wonderful music,good food,lots of laughter and possibily some good wine =) Join me as I share with you some wonderful recipes that I have cooked over the years for my family which I usually serve with a large dollop of love ♥.

Saturday 26 November 2011

Vada paav !

Vada paav is a favourite snack with the Maharastrians(people residing in Maharastra).I had a short stint in Pune & used ask my  husband to get some home every so now and then .So it was a regular evening snack for us.Back home in Chennai I really missed the authentic vada pav.There are several sweet shop which sell north Indian snacks but none have the authetic charm & taste.So my mom-in-law who is an awesome cook made "the vada Pav" for me.So here is the recipe for making yummy vada paav.

Vada Paav:

Ingredients:
Potato- 1/2 kg (wash & cook it in pressure cooker)
Green chilli-2 (chopped finely)
Garlic-5 flakes (chopped finely)
Fresh corriander-1 sprig
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Tummeric powder- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Butter-100 gms  (for the paav)
Oil-2 tbsp (for tempering)
Oil- 1/2 ltr.(for frying)

For Batter:
Rice flour-1tbsp
Bengal Gram flour- 250 gms
Salt-to taste
Tumeric powder-1/2 tsp
Hing-1/4 tsp(or) 1 pinch
Cooking soda -1/4 tsp(or) 1 pinch
Water- 1 cup
Oil-1tsp

Mix the above mentioned ingredients into a batter(it should not be too running nor too thick).Set aside.

Green Chutney:
Green chilly-2
Fresh corriander leaves-1 bunch
Scrapped coconut-2 tbsp
Ginger-11/2 inch
Salt-to taste
Grind the ingredients into a smooth paste.Transfer into a bowl.

Method for making "Vada":
Peel the skin & mask the cooked potato.Heat oil(for tempering),add mustard seed & curry leaves.When the mustard seeds starts to splutter add  the chopped garlic,green chillies,tumeric powder & salt.Now add the mashed potato.Cook it for 4-5 mminutes.Remove from the stove top  & set aside.
Make medium sized balls of the potatoe mix and keep aside.You should be able to make about 14-15 mediumm sized balls.
Keep oil  for frying in a wok.Dip the potato balls into the batter and deep fry it.Strain & set aside.

Assebling the Vada paav:
Take one paav.Slice it into two.Spread butter on one side.On the other side spread the green chutney.Keep  one vada inbetween the paav slices.Do the same with the rest of the vadas.Vada paav is ready to be served.Serve them hot with masala chai.This is such a irresistable combination.I bet you can never say no to such a tasty snack.


Have a wonderful day !

Cheers,
Deepa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...